Follow steps in the Building - iOS OS X section to build and install the About sample app on an iOS device.
You can use the About sample app to act as an About Client, an About Service, or both a Client and a Service simultaneously. If you run the app as both a client and server simultaneously, you will be able to publish and receive About announcements on a single iOS device.
Alternately, run the app as a client on one device, and as a service on another device.
NOTE: Both devices must be on the same Wi-Fi network.
Run the About sample app as a Client
- Launch the About sample app on your iOS device.
- Click Connect to AllJoyn.
In the pop-up that appears, set the name to be used by the About feature in the application. You can use the default of org.alljoyn.BusNode.aboutClient, or enter your own.
- The application is now running in Client mode.
- In the list area below the Disconnect from AllJoyn button, you will see any nearby applications that have been discovered via their About announcements. NOTE: If there are no nearby devices, follow the steps in Run the About sample app as a Service to run the application simultaneously as an About Service. This will allow you to interact with the About Server running in the app through the About Client that is also running in the app.
To interact with an About Service, select one from the list of nearby applications that have been discovered.
- Choose an option from the pop-up that appears:
- Show Announce: This will allow you to view the About announcement that was received from the nearby application.
- About: This will show the full set of information retrieved by the About Client from the nearby application.
- Icon: This will display the About Icon that has been retrieved from the nearby application.
Run the About sample app as a Service
- Run the About sample app on your iOS device.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Start About Service.
- The application is now running in Server mode.
NOTE: To interact with the About Service, either run the sample app as an About Client on the same device or on a different device, as detailed in Run the About sample app as a Client.